RULES & REGISTRATION
All participants must meet the eligibility rules. The rules of Ryerson Intramurals are to ensure that play is safe and enjoyed by all participants. All regular CFFA rules apply except where noted. Please consult the Intramural Website for a full description of policies and rules governing the Intramural program.
- All games are played in the Ryerson Quad, Sundays 11:00am - 4:00pm. The game ball and flags are supplied by the convenor.
- Metal cleats/spikes are not permitted.
- Teams may carry 12 players maximum. Each team consists of six players on the field, minimum of 4 players to start the game.
- Any team that is unable to start 10 minutes after the scheduled time will be penalized a default. Defaults are recorded as 21-0. Two defaults result in removal from the league.
- Teams get 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss.
- Substitution is permitted on a dead ball situation. Only the six active players on the field may be in the huddle between plays.
- Games are two 20 minute halves running time. Referees will inform teams of the last minute of play in each half. The last minute in each half will involve at least three plays.
- Teams receive two 30-second timeouts per game.
- Teams have 5 downs for each possession for the length of the field.
- A coin flip will determine kicking/receiving team and choice of ends.
- At the start of each half and after a scoring play, a punt will take place from the 10 yard line.
- If the ball is punted out of bounds, the receiving team will have the option of taking the ball where it went out of bounds or having the ball kicked again from the opposing goal line.
- A punted ball which is down in the end zone is considered a touchback and is taken at the 10 yard line.
- A punted ball that lands in play and then travels out of bounds is considered a fair punt and will be played where it went out of bounds.
- On a punt the defensive team must give the receiving player an arm's length of space before attempting to grab the flags.
- Touchdown 6 points. The scoring team will then attempt a 2 point conversion from the 5 yd line. There are no field goals or singles due to lack of uprights.
- If the offensive team is downed in their end zone, defensive team receive 2 points and possession of the ball after a kickoff.
- The ball must be snapped from centre.
- All players must wear two easily accessible flags. If at any time a person who does not have two flags comes into possession of the ball, the play shall be whistled dead. (i.e. removal of carrier's flag stops play). Any player that tampers with the flag will receive a personal foul. Penalty - 10 yards.
- The defence must count aloud 5 steamboats at the line of scrimmage before they can rush. The pace of the count is at the discretion of the referee. A first warning will result in a replay of the down for the offensive team and a second offence will result in a ten yard penalty against the defensive team. The steamboat count can be counted on the run.
- Offside: Offence 5 yards or loss of down, Defence 5 yards or gain on play
- Offensive team has 25 seconds to put ball into play once positioned by referee. Penalty 5 yards and loss of down.
- Shielding the flags is a discretionary call of the official.
- The quarterback is allowed to run but only after the 5 steamboat count.
- If the ball is fumbled in the backfield, the defence may rush regardless of the steamboat count, however the ball carrier may also run the ball upfield.
- Offensive team may not block. Penalty is loss of down and 5 yards back from original line of scrimmage.
- Tackling: Unintentional - 5 yard penalty, Intentional - automatic first down and 10 yards from the point of the infraction.
** Repeat of intentional tackling is ejection from game or league at the discretion of the referee.
- One foot in bounds is required to retain possession.
- Personal foul. Penalty 15 yards.
- Two personal fouls in one game result in automatic ejection from the game.
- Further penalty resulting from a player's conduct is at the discretion of the Code of Conduct Committee.
- GAMES WILL NOT BE PLAYED IN THE EVENT OF HEAVY RAIN. Contact RAC for scheduling on game days after 11:00am regarding rain or other irregular weather.
- All official rulings are final. Abusive language towards the officials or other players will not be tolerated and the individual may be ejected at the official's discretion. Further suspension will be decided by the Intramural Co-ordinator and Head Convenor.
- Any participants fighting will be a) automatically ejected from the game, b) serve a one game suspension with further suspension pending from the Intramural Coordinator.
- Teams are required to pay a $60.00 bond when they submit their team entry form. This bond will be fully refunded at the end of the semester as long as the team has not defaulted or been fined for anything during the season. Team captain can come pick up the bond at the end of the semester.
- The team will be charged $30.00 if their team default a game and will be removed from the league after 2 defaults, on separate nights. The defaults will be removed from the bond teams submitted at the start of the season.
Standard Stuff (Eligibility, playoffs etc.)
- Following the regular season schedule, the champion will be declared based on a single elimination tournament.
- To play in playoffs you must have played in 50% of all league games.
- A player may not play for two teams. In the case of a dispute, the 1st game sheet that the players name appears on will count as their original team.
- If a player is playing for more than one team, the 2nd team using the player forfeits any wins or ties, in which the illegal player played.
- If a team is found to be using an ineligible player (a non student or non RAC member), then the team is removed from the league for the remainder of the season.