RULES & REGULATIONS
All participants must meet the eligibility rules. The rules of Ryerson Intramurals are to ensure that play is safe and enjoyed by all participants. All regular CVA rules apply except where noted. Please consult the Intramural Website for a full description of policies and rules governing the Intramural program.
- Games are played Wednesdays, 6:30pm – 11:00pm in the RAC I and II Gyms. Any team not ready to play 5 minutes after the scheduled start time defaults the game.
- The game will consist of a best 2 sets out of 3, with a 15 point rally point scoring system. If the game runs out of time the team that has the most cumulative points combined in all the sets will be declared the winner.
- A third set will only begin if there is at least 5 minutes remaining in the allotted time. If the 3rd set does not conclude before time expires the scores of both teams will count towards each teams' point differential in determining a winner.
- Teams scheduled to play in the first time slot are EXPECTED TO PUT UP THE POLES AND NETS. The last teams scheduled to play are RESPONSIBLE FOR POLE AND NET TAKE DOWN.
- Net is set to intermediate height. (2.27m)
- Teams get 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss.
- A defaulted match is recorded as 30-0. Two defaults on separate nights in one season results in removal from the league.
- A team must consist of 4 players to be eligible to play.
- Beginning rotational order must be kept throughout the game.
- Free substitutions on a dead ball will prevail.
- THE SERVE.
- First serve decided by rock, paper, scissors between captains of both teams.
- One foot must be in contact with the ground when the serve is made therefore jump serves are NOT legal. Overhead, underhand and windmill serves are legal.
- The server must wait for the referee's whistle to begin. Server must have both feet behind the end line until ball leaves hand.
- No blocking the serve.
- The court line markings are part of the court of play, therefore if any part of the ball touches the line, the ball is in.
- If an individual touches the net while in the act of playing the ball, it is a net violation. If on a spike, the ball contacts the ground before the individual hits the net then it is not a violation.
- If an individual crosses the centre line under the net without impeding the play, this is legal and play should continue.
- Four hits are illegal. A block does not count as a hit.
- A player may not cross the plane of the net until the opposition has played the ball three times.
- A back court player may not contact the ball above the height of the net in front of the attack line. A back court player may leave his/her feet from behind the attack line and contact the ball in front of the attack line.
- Directing, palming and holding the ball is judgment calls of referee.
- All official rulings are final. Abusive language towards the officials or other players will not be tolerated and the individual may be ejected at the officials discretion. Further suspension will be decided by the Intramural Co-ordinator and the Head Convenor.
- The baskets, backboards, walls, ceiling, dividers and bleachers are out of bounds.
- Any participants fighting will be automatically ejected from the game, serve a one game suspension pending by the Intramural Coordinator.
- Teams are required to pay a $60.00 bond when they submit their team entry form. This bond will be fully refunded at the end of the semester as long as the team has not defaulted or been fined for anything during the season. Team captain can come pick up the bond at the end of the semester.
- The team will be charged $30.00 if their team default a game and will be removed from the league after 2 defaults, on separate nights. The defaults will be removed from the bond teams submitted at the start of the season.
- In the event no referee is present, at the discretion of both teams, self officiating may be done. In this case please know the rules to avoid disputes.
Standard Stuff, (eligibility, playoffs, etc.):
- Following the regular season schedule, the champion will be declared based on a single elimination tournament.
- To play in playoffs you must have played in 50% of all league games.
- A player may not play for two teams. In the case of a dispute, the 1st game sheet that the players name appears on will count as their original team.
- If a player is playing for more than one team, the 2nd team using the player forfeits any wins or ties, in which the illegal player played.
- If a team is found to be using an ineligible player (a non student or non RAC member), then the team is removed from the league for the remainder of the season.
- A team is allowed one varsity member on a team. If a team is caught with more then one varsity member the team will forfeit that game and be warned. If it happens again the team will forfeit that game and be ejected from the league.
- Players that are injured during the regular season must come see the convenor or Intramural Coordinator to be considered eligible for the playoffs.
- All uniforms and team names must be appropriate and receive approval from the Intramural Co-ordinator, as well as fit all policies of Ryerson University.